Center Church Fourth Meeting House, 1807 Center Church is home to the First Church of Christ in Hartford, founded in 1632 in Newtown (now Cambridge), Massachusetts. The Reverend Thomas Hooker, the congregation’s first minister, and his followers subsequently settled in Hartford in 1636. The congregation’s first and second meeting houses were located near where the Old State House stands today. In 1737 the Society was granted permission to erect a new meeting house on a corner of the Ancient Burying Ground. In 1807 that structure was razed and the current church constructed. Art patron and civic leader Daniel Wadsworth designed Center Church which, like Hartford’s Old State House, was built by architect/builder John Leffingwell. The church’s soaring ornate white Baroque-style three-stage spire made it one of the tallest and most opulent structures in Connecticut at the time of its construction. The church interior features five stained-glass windows by Louis Comfort Tiffany.